"Gas", chapter 1, part 1. TWD fan fiction

The air in the gas station was scorching and moist; it reeked of death, due to the two walkers trapped inside, tied by their ankles to the counter, close to the windows, so nobody would enter when they saw them.
They had been trapped by a girl, who was now sitting on the floor, dripping wet in sweat, playing with a revolver. She was skinny, her skin dry and gaunt, her blond hair frizzy, her eyes sad and aimless. She had been playing with the gun for days now; she was sure she was turning crazy, but couldn’t or didn’t want to do anything about it.
Lux was utterly tired of living, but for the first time she didn’t have the determination of killing herself. She was sure that loneliness, famine and inactivity would eventually end her without an effort. She didn’t know how long had she been on her own, but it had been definitely over a month. Maybe two. Her wounds were sure healing, both the outer and the inner, and she had grown up to be a survivor, with all the immoral acts it carried out.
There were people talking outside, but no distinct conversation. They were muttering and that only meant they wanted to break in.
“They want to break into my place. My place, my only shelter, where I’ve survived since I ran away from those monsters” she thought, stiff and curled up in a comforting position.
She wouldn’t let them.
Lux stood up and pulled out her knife, the one on her right leg. Her jeans had a double fabric to hide a couple of blades, long, thin and sharp, so no one could see them until it was too late. She was able to use them better than a tooth brush, and had used them a lot lately.
The door opened; she had not repaired the lock since a kid broke in the previous week. It was part of her master plan to die somehow.
She saw a woman from her sneaking point, behind a shelf stuffed with car supplies. Her skin was dark, umber indeed, and she was as tall as her, thin. She wore thick dreads. Her gaze was fierce, ruthless. It was weird for Lux because she had not seen a strong, healthy woman since everything began, or ended. She pulled out a long blade, maybe a katana, and severed the walker’s heads in two gracious moves.
She waited in the dark, and started moving in the opposite direction, around the shelf, to catch her by surprise. Both women wandered slowly and quiet until Lux was behind her, without noticing another stranger slipping inside the thick aired room.
Lux made a ghostly move and pushed the blade against the woman’s throat, grabbing her waist tight against her.
-Okay bitch, don’t panic. -she whispered- I know you’re not alone, but I promise I won’t hurt you. Even more, you can keep that sticky pack of batteries with you and take your fine ass out. In return, you don’t say you saw me. Get me? There’s no one here inside. You tell your friends that and get the fuck out of here forever.
-Okay, I get you. I’m not saying shit, just don’t hurt me. -The woman was strangely calm.
-Good, get out now.
Lux didn’t put the knife away, but she loosened her hug; then she heard the sound of a gun’s lock sliding up.
-Fuck.
-Put the knife down. -a tall man was speaking with an angry voice.
-No, I won’t. I’m not leaving this place.
Lux used her elbow as a stick and tried to hit the man in the face, but the woman fled away and pushed her back, so she dropped her knife. Then she saw another man, hiding in the corner, as he said:
-It’s fine, we won’t hurt you.
She recognized his voice and his deep blue eyes.
-Daryl? What the fuck?
Rick hit her in the forehead with his Colt 45. She fell on the dirty floor and yelled; however the biggest pain was not in her head, but in her pride.
The intruders left the place and started discussing outside. Michonne shouted in grief.
-Do you know the bitch?! Do you know her?!
-Erm… sorta. I don’t know, I’m not sure it’s her.
-She recognized you. -Rick was waiting for an answer.
-Well, we… used to…
-It’s complicated. You don’t have to give more explanations. -Lux was trying to stand up, but she was bleeding, and the wound on her scalp hurt bad. Rick helped her up and she picked her knife.
-Are you alone? -he asked, while grabbing her away. He noticed her liquid blue, lost gaze.
-Yes sir, because I like it that way. -her voice sounded tired and raspy, yet bigoted.
Lux looked at Daryl from head to toe in total disbelief. There was barely a trace of the man she used to know. Once thin and athletic, he now had a well built figure, huge arms and was all dressed in black, denim and leather, with two wings sown to his vest. And his oily hair was reaching his shoulders.
-Now I would like you to get out of my property.
Rick cackled. -Well, we don’t intend to invade your property, the truth is we have left our camp this morning to look for more people.
-Wait… -Michonne stared at him, mad.
-Who would do something like that?-Lux asked.
Rick sighed.
-How many walkers have you killed?
-Walkers? You mean zombies? Today? Four. Five. I had to pee outside.
Daryl kept looking down at the ground in silence.
Michonne shook her head and returned to the van, where Glenn was waiting.
-What’s up with her? Is she coming?
-I hope not, she just tried to kill me. And hear this, she’s Daryl’s ex-girlfriend.
-No way! Now I want to meet her! -he smiled.

-And how many people have you killed?
-In self defense?
-Yes.
-About 5.
Rick looked at Daryl, hoping for a back up, but he was still silent, now staring at her in gloom.
-And the rest? Why did you kill them?
-Because they robbed me or because they raped me.
Both men looked away.
-Wow, wait, what is this about? Do you want to take me to your Candy Land? I don’t even want to go.
-You look starving, and you are clearly unsafe. -Rick tried to maintain a kind attitude. He looked at her thin arms, long and shaking legs in ripped jeans, and stained pink top.
-I don’t know if I would be safe with you. -She turned to Daryl. -No offense dude, but I haven’t seen you in a while.
Lux heard a walker moaning behind her and pulled the knife on her left leg, while muttering in anger.
-Oh, shit! Not you again!
Then she threw the knife and stabbed the creature on his forehead.
The men froze in shock. There was a thick silence.
-Sorry. I insist. -she turned back to them. -The answer is no.
-Do whatever you want. -Daryl walked away towards the van.
-Fine, I’m glad to see you. -She replied, upset.
-Excuse him, he is not very talkative.
-I’m aware. Look, you seem very friendly and eager to meet people… but the truth is I don’t like people.
-You will regret not coming. -Rick’s voice was firm now.
-I regret a shit load of things in my life, but doing something, or better not doing it, because I’m scared, is not one of them. Trust me, this is a waste of time. Go to your van and keep searching for living ones.
-Fine, I give up. Just let me bring you a band aid for your wound, and a snack.
-Thank you.
Rick opened his emergency backpack and grabbed both things, plus a bottle of water.
-Here you are, and I apologize, but you know…
-These days, I know. -She took a sip while looking at him in the eye, flirting. -Have it back, there is a good stream behind the station.
-Are you serious you don’t want to come?
-As a liver cancer. I’m glad you came and showed me the goods of the county, but I prefer it here. Thanks again, for real. Tell Daryl I’m happy to see him so good.
-Farewell, then…
-My name is Lux. Farewell, Rick.
She took a bite of the cereal bar and headed back to the station.

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Reseña: “Cuernos”, de Joe Hill

Reseña: "El día que perdí mi sombra", de Aída del Pozo